Shadow Claws

I did design sketches for some of my WoF OCs a couple weeks ago, and I love how they turned out, so I figured I'd share them. These characters are all part of a secret organization known as the Shadow Claws, dedicated to overthrowing the queens of Pyrrhia. I've tried hard to give them unique, recognizable designs while still making them look like the tribe they belong to.

Note: these were originally all one image that I digitally chopped up, so the spacing is a little weird on some of them.


Fer-de-lance is a SandWing/RainWing hybrid and the leader of the Shadow Claws. She's named for and patterned after a highly venomous Central American pit viper, and she's one of my oldest WoF OCs, dating back to 2014 (although the design is new).

Albacore of the SeaWings

Albacore is a SeaWing and the Shadow Claws' head assassin. His design is based on the albacore tuna, for which he's named, and the nonbreeding plumage of the common murre.

Oribi the SandWing is one of Albacore's apprentices. He's not very well developed. His wings are based on the Montagu's harrier.

Petrel the IceWing
Petrel the IceWing is also one of Albacore's apprentices, but she's a little better developed. She's designed after the Cook's petrel, and to a lesser extent the cape petrel, although the latter's influence is hard to see in this picture. Also hard to see here is her broken left horn.


Owl's been featured here before, and her design's pretty much the same. The undersides of her wings weren't visible, though. She's another of Albacore's apprentices, a NightWing/SkyWing hybrid he raised pretty much from hatching.

Ibex the SkyWing is a fairly low-ranking member of the SC. His wings are based on the booted eagle and the rest of his design is based on the Iberian ibex. His wing's not actually tattered, I just didn't color it properly since it was overlapped by Albacore in the full file.

Hamerkop the MudWing is a doctor/scientist for the SC. His design isn't based on any animal in particular--MudWings are described in the books as sometimes having gold underbellies, but I've never seen an OC like that, so I figured I'd make one. He's named after an African waterbird.

2 comments: